Monday, April 17, 2023

Inventory Management System & the minutes of our lives

We decided to build an inventory management system as our group project. It is not the most exciting thing, but it will do what it is supposed to do... show that we can work as part of a team, build something from the ground up, while they teach us about Agile, we pick up some new skills, learn more about communication, goal setting, and practice things we covered in class. 

I am a little frustrated as I got spoiled. I spent 20+ yrs working with someone who annoyed me by making us follow all of these steps with meetings, yet over time I saw how those things saved us over and over. 

Simple things like having someone write down what people agree to, then reading that off at the end of the meeting so if there are any questions or misunderstandings we can deal with it at that time, and then emailing that list to everyone involved so we all are on the same page. 

It reminded me of what I was supposed to do, but also told me who to bother about the information I was waiting on. 

This stuff became even more important to me as more and more meetings became conference calls and virtual meetings, and I no longer had memories like "They were sitting at the left end of the table, and that was A, B, & C... and B was the only Account Manager over there". 

So yeah, I learned that extra couple of minutes was not wasted time. Maybe that is why they are called Meeting Minutes? (I looked it up... meeting minutes are based on taking minute (my-newt) notes. People read it as minute (min-utes) so that is what we call them now)

Since I am the one having the issue, I guess it means I am going to need to take my own minutes. And since I want to help keep us on the same page, I'll post them where all of us can see them. 

Be the solution to your own problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When dreams die

"Please write a function that reverses a string using the split and join method"  2 years ago that was a very important thing to m...